• Designed to help answer questions like:
o Why can’t we just start our own church?
o Why do we need to seek “authorization” from another church?
• To help appreciate why most of the New Testament was written to a church
• To help us appreciate that special glory is to be given to Christ Jesus in the church
o Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. (Ephesians 3:21)
• To help us understand the importance of church attendance
o Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (Hebrews 10:25)
• To help refute the popular sentiment – “I love Jesus. I just don’t like organized religion.” Or “I don’t need to go to church to be a Christian.” True, but a true believer will want to honor the Lord and obey His commandments.
• To help refute the concept of “home church” and the abuse of Matt 18:20
o For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. (Matthew 18:20)
This verse is true, though this does not define church authority.
Sermon Topics: Church